Italian Casserole With Cannellini Beans
A delicious Italian style beef casserole shared from Australian Beef.
- 1kg Gravy Beef
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup Four of Us Pinot Noir
- 750g fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cup fresh oregano
- 500g brown mushrooms
- 1½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 800g tinned cannellini beans
- Steamed greens, to serve
- Crusty bread to, serve
- Shaved parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a heavy based pan, and brown beef evenly in 2-3 batches. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining oil. Sauté onion and garlic. Slowly add the flour and stir for 1 min.
- Add red wine and simmer until reduced by ½. Add tomatoes, bay leaves and oregano.
- Stir until combined and add to the casserole.
- Place in oven and cook for 2 hrs or until meat is tender. In the last 30 mins add mushrooms, parsley and beans. Adjust seasoning to taste.