Shredded Poached Chickens
Perfectly poached chicken is ideal for shredding and adding to salads, sandwiches, tacos and rice paper rolls. Poaching two chickens at once ensures there's plenty to go around for your Summer get together with friends and family.
- Marion Bay Free Range Twin Pack Whole Chickens
- 1 tsp black whole peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- Fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme, wrapped into a bundle
- Sea salt
- In a very large stockpot, place both fresh whole chickens. Otherwise, divide chickens into two large pots.
- Add the peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves, carrots, celery, onions, lemon slices and her bundle. If using two pots, simply divide the ingredients equally between the two.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Add enough water to the pot to cover the chickens and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and continue to simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chickens to cool in their stock.
- Strain the stock and reserve for future use (can be frozen).
- Remove the skin and bones from the chickens and pull the meat into bite-size pieces.
- Serve as the filling to any number of easy dishes, such as sandwiches, wraps, bread rolls, rice paper rolls, tacos, etc. For different flavours, simply stir your favourite sauce, pesto or paste through the chicken before serving.