Swedish Style Roast Lamb
Anchovies add a richness to this classic Swedish take on the a roast leg of lamb.
- Approx 2kg lamb leg bone in
- 4 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained with a little oil reserved
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 25 softened butter
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Heat the oven to 230C.
- Using a small sharp knife, make deep narrow slits all over the leg.
- Cut each anchovy fillet in half lengthways, then across into three.
- In each slit on the leg, push 1 piece of anchovy and 1-2 matchsticks of garlic.
- Spread the butter all over the outside of the lamb and season it well all over. Put any left over garlic sprinkled over the top of the lamb.
- Place the lamb in a roasting tin with a little anchovy oil and place the rosemary sprigs on top.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 200C and roast for the the remainder of the calculated cooking time*.
- Serve with your favourite side of vegetables.
* To calculate cooking time, allow 16 minutes per 450g.